Understanding Forests: Education for the General Public
Forests are a renewable resource that provide us with over 8000 different products. Proper management ensures that they continue to provide a wide range of benefits perpetually. But how much do you actually know about forests?
乐动体育注册Through a combination of videos and short readings you will learn about forest trees, wildlife, water, forest ecology, history, and management. You'll take away practical, hands-on skills, and be able to check your learning with short, ungraded assessments. Download and print the handouts that accompany this self-paced course.
Although this course focuses on Pennsylvania woods, much of the information applies to land in other states as well, particularly those in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
- Anyone who wishes to learn more about forests.
You will learn how to:
- understand the history of Pennsylvania forests
- recognize the current trends in forest ownership and management
- teach youth using appropriate forest teaching activities and curricula
- understand how abiotic, biotic, and cultural factors shape ecosystems
- recognize specific habitats and species of Pennsylvania
- use a tree ID to identify trees
- make sense of the key elements of siviculture
- understand best land use and management practices
Frequently Asked Questions
Some courses also provide credits that can go towards professional certifications. None of the online courses offer credits that can go on a college transcript.
Please refer to the course description to learn if a specific course offers certificates and/or credits towards professional certification.
The definition of a passing grade varies from course to course. Once you register for an online course, please log in to learn about a specific course’s grading criteria.
Also, keep in mind that not all courses offer certificates. Please refer to the course description to learn whether or not a specific course offers a certificate.
乐动体育注册 Sanford S. Smith, Ph.D., James Finley, Ph.D.
Michael Jacobson, Ph.D.